Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mirrors for Amusement and Finding Yourself When Lost

I was recently at an amusement park where one of the attractions was a maze. The walls around you were either clear glass panels or mirrors from ceiling to floor. As you might imagine the glass walls made it difficult to decide if your next step would take you into open space or smack into a wall. I have to admit there were a few times I found myself wall to nose in a miscalculated step. The only time I was certain not to smack into a wall was when I encountered a mirrored panel. The mirrors became a sort of guide. Whenever I encountered myself I knew to try a different route. Getting lost in the maze made my reflection all the more reassuring because it was something I could recognize and use to proceed in a productive way.

2 comments:

  1. I think mirrors can be very interesting although the space might not be big enough to use them properly. Alice can be lost in them or they can be used to create a crowd by reflecting a single person. It would also be interesting to see what would happen if we could project a video on a mirror or a group of mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been interested in the mirror-maze or mirror-room for a while, but I've never heard of integrating transparent panels like that, so that the mirror becomes comforting rather than disorienting.

    Regarding Michail's comment, I would love to use mirrors to add to the stage image at times, perhaps we could use smaller mirrors carried by the performers? I also love the idea of integrating them into projection design.

    ReplyDelete